Friday, August 5, 2011

Oh my, I'm Blogging



I'm in my late twenties (help me Lord), I've been married for 9 years, and we have two children. I was active and fit as a teenager raised in the bayous of South Louisiana. I met my love. We got married and grew fat together.

I went from tons of activity in my parents' household (yard work, swimming, boat rowing) to working retail 60 to 70 hours a week. I worked, I ate, I slept. I gained weight. We both gained weight.

About a year and a half ago, my husband went to the MD for a well visit. He was 100 pounds overweight, his cholesterol was out of whack, and his blood pressure was borderline hypertensive. This was his wake up call. We determined we'd eat better, and exercise. And one of us did.

I just couldn't seem to stay motivated. I'd do well for a week, then fall off. I'd have a 'stomach bout' with my IBS. Then, the kids and I come down with swine flu. I certainly couldn't get up at 5 a.m and exercise then! The routine was forever ruined. The laziness crept back in. Then I had my gallbladder removed. Another wonderful excuse why I just couldn't diet and exercise.

So, slowly but surely, I was left behind. My husband lost his hundred pounds, finished a 5K and a 10K, and here I am still with 80 extra pounds. I find myself at turns happy for him and resentful of his success.

And here I go, once again. I refuse to give up on myself because I know how important it is for me to take care of myself. If something happens to me, my kids will have to go to school when I want so much for them to have the home school advantage. My husband would have to go it alone, all because I was too selfish to put down that cookie.

So I'm dieting, homeschooling, and keeping our home. Trying to find the balance between them all.

I've got 80 pounds to lose, and if he could lose 100, 80 should be a walk in the park....or something like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment