Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Migraines and Minestrone

I feel yesterday's Meatless Monday was much more successful. Veggies veggies everywhere! Plus, it was super easy to make. I was originally intending to make something entirely different this week. I ended up in town running errands ALL DAY! So in came plan b. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how in the world I could have Meatless Monday when I had no time for prep. I mean I could have set out a salad and veggie tray and said, "sorry people it's all I got." I wanted a meal. A real meal. Then a recipe that I usually save for winter popped into my head. Minestrone!

My husband loves Olive Garden's "Soup, Salad and Breadsticks". So we had minestrone, salad with some beautiful lettuces I picked up at Sam's and rolls. Since the day was shot running errands, and I had a migraine, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was cook. But, because this soup is so easy to make that's exactly what I did.

After unloading the groceries I immediately put my apron on and got to work. Yes, I wear an apron...what?! My recipe usually calls for one third of the broth I use to be chicken, but since this is MEATLESS Monday I used all vegetable broth. FYI, it is much easier on the budget to use bouillon cubes, granules, or base to make soups stews and gumbos. Buying all those cans and boxes of broth gets expensive! My family never noticed that the chicken broth was missing. I have strange children that love vegetables and salads. They were thrilled to see salad and a soup that had corn, carrots, celery, zucchini, summer squash and green beans! I am a carb lover so I was kind of excited by the bread.

So I threw the whole soup together in about 30 minutes. It took me ten to heat the brown and serve rolls and put the salad together. I had a filling, healthy meal for my family despite a busy day and a splitting headache. I ate a bowl of yummy minestrone and a roll then crashed and left my poor hubby with dish duty. From what I heard the family loved it. My five year old asked for soup for breakfast so I would say this Meatless Monday was a success. Thank you Lord for giving me children who eat their vegetables!

5 comments:

  1. Daisy! You're blogs are so good! They're inspirational. I too deal with not eating healthy and not exercising. Of course, my eating consist of NOT eating then gorging myself at night. Not good. The exercising... It's tough to do alone but I try to make an effort. May I make a suggestion? Walk At Home. I did it last winter and saw results. Unfortunately, I dent stick to it because I get awkward with people watching me. Then there was the incident of he kids claiming the DVD player. You can purchase the DVD at any walmart for $10. It comes with a stretch band. And it's FUN! It's called Leslie Sansone's Walk Slim 4 really big miles. I think you might enjoy it. You could even get the kids to do it with you. My two love it! Hope this helps! And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, that blog wore me out just reading it..lol I love how organized you have become. I like to make the most out of my time in the day too. You do such a great job of that. Proud to call ya my daughter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nica, Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying my Meatless Monday. :) I started blogging because I love to write and if I could share with people I know and they could help me stay motivated great. If I could inspire someone else to make healthier choices? Even better! :) Thanks for suggesting Walk at Home. I'll have to check it out. My largest obstacle is exercise because I despise hopping around my living room and feeling like I'm accomplishing nothing. Yes, I exercised my body, but is the house any cleaner? No. Did the back yard get that deck I've been wanting? Nope. Frankly, I wish housework burned more calories. I'd be super skinny by now! lol But I will check out Walk at Home and see if it might be for me. Thanks! And thanks for reading!


    @Mom, Thanks for reading my blog! You're a busy lady too! I learned from the best. You taught me everything I know and I try to take that and use it and make you proud. Mission accomplished I guess? lol I love you and I miss you! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Daisy! I'm so excited that you have a blog! I really had no idea! =0)

    And I definitely want to make a soup like that! I might need exact directions! Can you help a cousin out?! :)

    Love love love that you do meatless Monday too! So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kenlie! I'll definitely hook you up with my Minestrone recipe. :) We are having fun with Meatless Monday. Even the kids! I'm feeling my way into blogging, and enjoying writing again. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete