Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Going Gluten Free...

I completed my bone broth fast just in time for all the family festivities of Christmas to commence. And BOY were there some festivities! Our Christmases (as most others' I'm sure) tend to be rather full of traveling all over Creation to visit this family member or that one. Coming off my fast I gently branched out to other foods. Eggs (since I already knew I could eat those), rice. I had been told that gluten could possibly be a trigger for me so I did my best to stay away from it while I was traveling for the holidays.

I enjoyed the holidays without too much worrying about what was in my food, but afterward I wanted to make a bigger effort to steer clear of gluten. After several months of healing and probably a detox of some sort I'll try it here and there to see if I notice a difference. For now, though, no gluten. Interestingly enough, I have noticed my belly isn't as bloated as it usually is. We shall see.

Now, a gluten free diet is a challenge for anyone. For a Cajun? The challenge increases threefold. We use roux...in everything. What's that? Want to thicken hamburger steak gravy? Mais, make a roux, cher! Seriously, every time I turn around I'm wanting to make something with a roux. I am experimenting with making a gluten free dark roux, but I have yet to be successful. Someone recommended I try a product made here locally, but I'm just not so sure since it's a jarred oil roux and I make and prefer oil-less roux.

I have gotten creative about thickening things that are lighter though. I recently made Simple, Gluten Free, Corn and Shrimp Soup. It was a success. I liked it, my hubby liked it, and the kids would eat it if I put it over rice. In my house that equals recipe success!

I still haven't gotten a beef stew that was outstanding....nice...but not outstanding. I'll keep trying though.

I haven't lost any weight. I've not gained any, but I haven't lost any either. I run about three and a half miles two days a week. I feel good, which is a step in the right direction. The only time I've been sick in the last week was when I figured out that I can't tolerate coconut flour. Sheesh, I wish there was an easier way to learn those lessons! For now I'll be content with the reduction in digestive issues. Grudgingly content, while I quietly plot against my fat by doing more research....

No comments:

Post a Comment