Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bone Broth...and Leaky Pipes

With all the research I have done about tummy troubles and food sensitivities and the inability to lose weight I have stumbled upon enough theories to make your head spin! Conventional medicine spouts all about how it's in my head or I'm not trying hard enough or some other such nonsense. I'm kind of done asking them for help. So that leaves the world of the naturopath. The ones that conventional doctors say are quacks. I even read an article from an esteemed medical institution that pretty much said, "what you're searching for doesn't really exist and it's better to take medication to mask the symptoms than to endanger your health going to unqualified practitioners looking for the source.."

I am tired of being told that IBS just happens sometimes and there's nothing I can do about it besides take medication or suffer. IBS doesn't just happen. I lived most of my life without it. Then one day it appears. I don't think my body just decided to rebel one day. I think my body has been trying to tell me something! The question, though, was, "WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!" Bodies really should speak English. Unfortunately the only language they speak is malfunction and pain...

And so....research. I came across an interesting theory that our digestive systems become compromised through a bad diet. (too much processed food, too much pesticide laden produce etc.) The lining of the intestine becomes extra permeable causing undigested food to be released into the bloodstream or other parts of the body. This causes a host of symptoms ranging from autoimmune disease to "unexplained" syndromes (IBS anybody?) and it can differ greatly from person to person.

The powers that be have named it Leaky Gut. Nice, huh? The more research I did, the more I thought that this maybe could be part of my problem. Then I thought, "ok, what would I do about it if I did, in fact, have leaky pipes?" MOAR RESEARCH! (Sorry...can you tell I'm a little tired of research?) I came across several real life accounts of people with IBS who decided to partake in a bone broth fast. They chose a certain amount of time that they would ingest nothing but broth made from the bones of healthy organically farmed animals. This is because the bones (and broth made from them) contain minerals and collagen and gelatin essential to soothing and repairing the intestinal lining. They were reporting being able to frolic in meadows without a care as to where the nearest bathroom was. I wanted that. I wanted to frolic sans toilet. Shoot. I just wanted to homeschool in the living room!

I took this information overload to a very nice natural health consultant. She listened to my whole toilet frolicking story with great interest. She agreed I was most definitely pointed in the right direction, and she armed me for the journey with a bottle of digestive enzyme pills. She also offered me an interesting theory...When asked what changed before I started having IBS symptoms I couldn't think of anything besides my diet. I thought, well my diet changed dramatically when I got married but other than that?? She pointed out that I had also started taking a birth control pill around the same time. (The pill is on the list of things that can contribute to leaky gut) Hmmmmm......

So I made up my mind. I would try a bone broth fast. One week. I chose the week before Christmas. Everyone asked me what in the world I was thinking. I was thinking, "I want to frolic". You can find the recipe I used here, should you be so inclined. It was hard. I mean, the first day I was thinking this isn't so bad, but by supper time the smell of the broth made me nauseous. I couldn't even go near it. I was sooo done. My poor husband wanted me to succeed. He knew how badly I needed this to work. He offered so many ideas. He even tried spicing the broth differently. I just gave up and had some herbal tea instead. I said I'd try again tomorrow. And I did. Except I cheated....just a little. I put an egg in it. Almost like egg drop soup. And man that stuff was good! So it went for 5 days. I would allow myself one "egg drop" a day. They're farm fresh pastured eggs so it couldn't be too bad for me, right?

I survived the week! Not only did I survive the week, but my belly felt pretty good! Let the frolicking commence! I have only had one "stomach bout" from then to now and I know exactly what caused it. Do you have any idea how empowering that is? Seriously. I think I'm going to go frolic right now! Or maybe just teach school....

1 comment: