Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tacos, Tacos Everywhere...

I missed posting last week because I was so incredibly busy! This week we had the unexciting textured vegetable protein tacos. So I won't talk to you about THIS week's tacos. I'll talk to you about LAST week's tacos. My family, if I put it on a tortilla they will try anything. We tend to have Mexican food often. My husband loves it. My oldest child loves it. Frankly, I could take it or leave it. These tacos though, the ones of which I am about to tell you, I will take any day!

Vegan & Gluten Free Sweet Potato Tacos With Spicy Cream Sauce  <------- There it is. The taco recipe that makes me say "Yum! More Please!" Go to it. Read it. Make it. Eat it. This way you also may experience the yummedness. I altered the recipe to what I had on hand or could easily find. The store I chose to shop in this week did not have silken tofu. I used a soft yogurt cheese instead for the sauce. It came out okay but it was still missing something when you taste it by itself. Add it to the taco though and it was all good!

My kids loved this taco. Well, my youngest kind of said "I don't want carrots and sweet potatoes." Then, I handed her a taco and she was like "oh a tortilla" and ate it. She liked it too, but she would not pick up any veggies that fell out of the tortilla onto her plate. Without their tortilla coat apparently they are not nearly as good and she promptly declared "I don't like that." She has also moved into the stage of childhood where she likes nothing. Even if she has eaten it before she says "I don't like it." We say "tough" and sit her down with it and she eats what she just said she didn't like. Therefore, I do not trust her judgement when it comes to food. My son, the tiny gourmet approved of this dish and said he'd gladly eat it again! This made me happy. My hubby even liked it, but he absolutely adores anything in a tortilla and he loves sweet potatoes. I was pretty sure that when I combined the two I would be hitting a home run.

Come to think of it, we had several successful dinners last week. One of the more interesting ones was a "pasta" dish I made. I used squash cut into ribbons instead of pasta noodles to go with a parmesan cream sauce. My son asked if we could always have "squash noodles" instead of "regular" ones. My daughter, however was not as intrigued. She didn't even finish what was on her plate. So we probably won't have that one as regularly.

Last week was a week of culinary "wow". This week has just kind of been meh. And there's been a lot of meat so far this week. I don't like that. Red meat too. I have to be careful to balance it out. My IBS does a lot better without so much meat. AND I lose weight a little easier too. I'm slowly but surely losing weight. People are starting to notice, which is both nice and awkward. What DOES one say when someone says "you look like you've lost weight"? Because I've taken to saying "yes, thanks for noticing." Maybe that's rude? I don't know....

No comments:

Post a Comment