Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New Resolve and....Veggie Chili

I've come to a conclusion. My body is older than I am. I have two bad knees, and a bad hip. When I get up from a sitting position I must do that old person hobble because my joints hurt. I knew my legs were messed up, but this week I realized just how messed up they are. My hip has been causing me so much pain that I've let it hinder my housework. I just don't want to get down on the ground and polish the pedestal on the dining room table. It will hurt way too much! So yeah, I'm old. Older than I should be at my age. (Does that even make sense?)

While lying in bed with my husband last week I said into the darkness, "I've GOT to do something about my weight. My legs are killing me. I've got to start walking again." My very mild mannered and supportive husband just said, "if you want to wait until I get home from work I'll watch the kids while you're on the treadmill." That's all. Not "It's about time you realized this lady," or "Duh!" He's just been waiting patiently for me to get to the point where I WANTED to help myself so that he could help me too. What a guy I've been blessed with.

Well, I walked last night. My hip killed me the entire time, but I managed to make it a mile and a half before I waved the white flag. Maybe I'll make it farther today. I need a good book to read to take my mind off the distance. I saved my four daily devotionals for my walk. They were over way too soon so then all I had to think about was my hip saying 'OW! OW!' for a half mile. Then my mom texted me. Perfect. I huffed, puffed and texted my way to a mile and a half. By they way, texting and walking? Harder than it sounds. I wouldn't recommend it on a crowded city street.

As for Meatless Monday? I made something I've made before. Veggie chili. When my hubby started taking better care of himself a couple of years ago, I found this recipe in my Joy of Cooking cookbook. Thank you mother in law! This chili has onions, bell peppers, garlic, carrots, jalapenos, tons of beans, tomatoes and lots of yummy spices. My husband loves this chili. My kids love it. (When the hubby doesn't get hold of it with extra spice.) My sister in law said, "there's no meat in this?" It really is delicious. It's just not what my mind associates with chili. Chili means greasy meaty goodness. This is not that chili, but it is filling and yummy with the little tang of the tomatoes and all the cumin and chili powder. Three different kinds of beans give it that chunky yumminess. Delicious. And what luck! I've got enough for leftovers today!

No comments:

Post a Comment