Friday, August 24, 2012

Creamy Rock Soup....Round 2

A while back I told of an experience in which I made potato soup. The soup won. Despite cooking all day the potatoes never softened. I'm pretty sure they were mutant potato rocks not meant for human consumption.

So, I gathered my wits and tackled creamy potato soup once more. This time I used a recipe I pinned to Pinterest: Slow cooker Loaded Baked potato Soup. I was intrigued by the slow cooker part, however the slow cooker was largely un needed. As a matter of fact, if you don't have a larger slow cooker, it won't fit! My slow cooker is five quarts and it BARELY fit. I had to switch containers for the final step. This recipe is also pretty big. It fed my family of six and we still had leftovers.

This soup is creamy (without heavy cream), garlic-y and just plain old good! It would have been better with bacon, but this WAS my meatless meal for the week. I thought I'd better not crumble a bunch of bacon in it, but next time...

The prep took FOR - E - VER, dicing 5 lbs. of potatoes is not quick. I think it was worth it though. All of the children, even the finicky ones, ate a huge bowl full with cheese sprinkled on top (making yummy sounds all the way through). The time consuming part was prepping all those potatoes! I think next time I make it I'll probably forgo the slow cooker and just cook it on the stovetop. Although, the slow cooker would make it handy for days when I'll be gone all day...so rare. The best part? No mutant potatoes that refuse to get soft. No rock soup!

I just did a one hour exercise class and 10 miles on a bike yesterday evening. I'm pretty sure my legs are going to fall off. But I kinda liked it......

No comments:

Post a Comment