Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fostering...and Familiarity

For those who do not already know, my husband and I are certified foster/adoptive parents. We received a foster placement recently. The only details I'll give (to protect them) are that it was more than one child, and MAN are they finicky! These children are a mite undisciplined, and also not used to sitting down to actual meals. They looked at me like I was nuts when I said the only thing we have to drink is water. Oh what a time we have had...

Trying to give everyone something familiar as well as healthy, one of my first endeavors was spaghetti. Except it was the sneaky version where I grate squash, eggplant and zucchini and chop some spinach to add to the sauce. You should try this. I promise they do not even know it is there! I can always eat spaghetti without a problem, even with my IBS. This time was not always.

That sneaky spaghetti did not agree with me. It seems my stomach is suddenly more sensitive. I got so tired of being sick that I stopped eating everything except French bread and peppermint tea for a day. Once I was feeling human again, I started very closely adhering to the guidelines of an IBS diet set forth by expert IBS sufferer Heather Van Vorous. The lady is a genius. Anyway, I started eating things that are easier for my body to digest, and (surprise of surprises) meats and fats are not on that list!


I made myself a quick squash teriyaki stir fry and put it over white rice one night. Last night though, was the night of deliciousness. I can't wait to have an excuse to do it again! Pizza! The children really enjoyed making their own pizzas "all by myself". I actually got them to eat! The kids had tomato sauce, bell pepper, onion, chicken and mozzarella cheese. Because they chose the toppings themselves and put it on themselves there was no "I don't like that" or picking things off...heavenly! The grown up pizza was the best pizza in all the land. After making our crust we topped ours with a spicy barbecue sauce (homemade because that's how I roll), onions, bell peppers and chicken (but no cheese). It was soooo good! AND so tummy friendly that I still feel good today!

Now, for supper tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment