Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Life....Enhanced

I've turned another corner in my journey. I went from a fairly unkempt "scenic byway" to a "state highway". I ramped the speed up a little.....okay a lot.....but it's not exactly smooth sailing like an interstate. Potholes abound.

I've gone several months without any weight loss. I've been carefully tracking calories eaten and burned but still no success. At first it was cute. Now? I'm just annoyed. So I took a look at what I could possibly be doing wrong. When I examined my habits I was a little surprised by some of them.

First, I was most likely dehydrated and what I was thinking was hunger might actually be thirst. I was in the habit of only drinking water when eating or working out. I got, on average, 24 ounces of water per day. You're supposed to drink at least 64 ounces per day!
Second, I was addicted to sugar. Everywhere! From sweets to bread to pasta. Simple carbs and refined sugars were a HUGE part of my diet.

I decided to start with those two birds and try to kill them with one stone. I determined that every time I wanted to munch (my munchie of choice is always sugary) I would drink instead. The first day I nearly floated away (90 oz!) and actually stayed kinda hungry all day so a new approach was in order. On day two I found the plan that could work for me. Drink every time I wanted to munch, but instead of 3 larger meals throughout the day I chose to do five smaller  . The challenge with this approach (for me) was keeping the number of calories per meal on a fairly even keel. I've pretty much gotten it down though. I'm already up to 40 ounces of water today and I'm just now starting to get the rumbly in my tumbly that tells me second breakfast is near.

Another change I made was changing the intensity of my workouts and adding in some strength training. I kid you not when I say that right now it hurts to sneeze. Every last muscle group I have is sore! I've only made these changes for about a week now so there are two things yet to be seen....whether I'll stick with it and whether it can get me results. I hope so...I'd hate to think my eyeballs are floating right now for no good reason!

1 comment:

  1. I have made a couple of changes recently too. Hoping I can stick with them. We can encourage each other. And yes my eyeballs are floating too lol.

    ReplyDelete