Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Accidental Meatless Day

Yesterday was a fail of epic proportions...on one hand. On another hand it was a win. Unfortunately the win was much smaller. It actually took me aback when I realized my little win this morning. Let me 'splain...well it's lengthy...let me sum up.

Yesterday was our first day of the new home schooling year. Yay right? Not so much apparently for my foster children. These are unstructured, undisciplined children who were already pretty much incapable of adapting to life in our house. THEN I had the nerve to ask them to do coloring sheets and quiet activities while my second grader completes his work. Well, that's what I thought I asked them. Apparently, they HEARD "and now we're going to cut off your toes." Every step, every activity all I got was an "I don't want to" and lots and lots of screaming. They, quite literally, cried for two straight hours. I feel bad for them because they are going through so much. Then I feel bad for my kids who have to endure it all. Then I feel bad for me because I am so weary it's not even funny. Today I have a cold that I caught from the kids. I feel like I have been run over by a small Japanese vehicle. I was chafing at the bit to go to my usual aerobics class. I am pretty sure I almost died. My head nearly exploded. But now, I am calm, I feel balanced.

This is where my big little win came in today. I realized I'm slowly, silently slipping from a slothful lifestyle to becoming a doer. I sent the animals (I mean children) out to recess today and was thinking "oh yes! 20 minutes of peace! I'll sit down and read a little!" Then I saw it. The patio and porch littered with debris. And I didn't sit. I quietly swept the back patio. Alone with my thoughts and the sunshine while the children laughed and played a few feet away. And I thought, "when did this happen?"

And now for the reason for my title, the other small win. I, one, managed to have a meatless Monday ON Monday (thanks to the hubs who was off for the holiday.) We had Veggie Chili. I was gonna do some awesome sounding vegan sweet potato tacos to try something new, but the kitchen got a special request.

Two? I accidentally ate no meat yesterday. I mean, meat isn't bad, but when you're trying so hard to consciously make better food choices that's a pretty big deal! I was kinda nauseous yesterday morning so I just ate a bowl of unsweetened applesauce. Why they put so much sugar in it I'll never know! Then, for lunch I had a really yummy and diverse salad. Then the veggie chili. Today as I was making breakfast it hit me...no meat at all yesterday! I chose fruits and veggies and beans over carbs and meat and fat! This made me excited. Maybe not you, but I did a small dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment