Thursday, May 17, 2012

CSA and Balance

Wow! It's been a long time. My world has been a little upside down and a lot busy. I feel like I've finally regained some of my balance. I don't think I even realized I was out of whack until everything fell back into place again. Does that even make sense?

Since I last wrote, We have started the spring/summer season of a CSA(Community Supported Agriculture)  share at our local "natural" farm. We are enjoying trying all sorts of new veggies, although I have no idea what to do with the fennel we just got. Fennel. It smells like licorice. That just makes me cringe. We have discovered that we love oven roasted beets though. Well, Mom and Dad do. The kids aren't so fond. I wonder if they'd eat it if I put it on pizza.

We finally got back to Meatless Monday here this Monday. Dad and I planned a little surprise to take the kids on a picnic dinner. I made Minestrone Pasta Salad. I got the recipe from Ready Set Eat. It has all the flavors of minestrone soup in a pasta salad. Noodles, beans, squash, carrots, tomatoes. I liked it. Dad liked it. The kids just wanted to play. They picked all the noodles and beans out and ran off. Good enough? I'm not sure, but it's a start back in the right direction for healthy eating.

I've learned that eating healthy on a budget is all about choosing your battles. It's a lot easier to do when I just go and grab a pre-prapared box of veggies every week. It also forces a little diversity into our dinner routines. I mean, fennel....


2 comments:

  1. I don't know of a CSA in my area but I have plenty of friends and relatives that have gardens and have an abundant supply of fresh vegetables

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a little fennel chopped raw in a salad.

    ReplyDelete